Monday, January 2, 2012

Pesto Chicken & Pepper Wraps


So after I made that big batch of pesto the other night, I had this lovely bowl in my fridge calling my name.  I had a few other dishes in the queue, so I had to wait until tonight to enjoy my favoriate weeknight pesto dish.
 I'll admit I'm kind of cheating, as even though it was a Monday, no one in our house had school or work today.  But I HAD to have that pesto.
This recipe, adapted from "Great Barbecues with Kingsford" is easy and can be modified for a quick weeknight dinner.  If you are not motivated to make your own pesto, by all means buy the jarred stuff. 
This recipe also calls for using the grill.  You could however easily use an indoor grill, such as a "George Forman".
The reason I love this so much is that you can throw the chicken in a plastic bag with the pesto in the morning, go off to work, and when you come back the meat and the pesto have made magic together.  The garlic and basil infuse into the meat and easy cooking means you won't be slaving over a stove all night.

Pesto Chicken & Pepper Wraps
1 cup pesto sauce
3 Tablespooon red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/4 lbs skinless chicken breasts
2 red bell peppers, cleaned and sliced into strips
1 onion, cleaned and sliced into strips
About 1-2 cups lettuce, torn
1 cup mozzarella shredded
Flour Tortillas, warmed

Combine 1/2 cup pesto, vinegar, salt and black pepper in large plastic zip lock bag or bowl.  Add chicken and toss to coat.  Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.  Remove chicken from marinade.  Grill chicken on grill of your choosing until done.  Could also cook in skillet if you don't have a grill.  In a small pan, saute onion and red pepper. 
Spread about 1 tablespoon pesto down center of each tortilla, top with chken, peppers, onions, cheese and lettuce.  Roll tortillas to enclose filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment