Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sasha's Strawberry Birthday Cake


I've been busy all day cooking, cleaning, and getting ready for my daughter's fifth birthday party tomorrow.  Frankly, I'm beat.  These parties are always lots of hard work, but I'm hoping that she has many happy birthday memories.
This is the first big birthday party we have thrown for my child I call "My unfortunately close to Christmas baby."  It's really her fault, if she hadn't came six weeks early, she would have had a nice February birthday.  Instead, the week after Christmas, BAM!  More presents.  People at this point are pretty much tapped out and tired from the holiday season.
For her third birthday, we took her downtown to the American Girl store.  She was in heaven.  She ran around, looked at all the beautiful dolls in their fancy dresses, and then picked the baby doll that was just perfect.  We had lunch with Grandma and Aunt Barb in the restaurant.  If you have never been to the cafe, it is just to adorable.  They bring out a little chair for your doll and serve it doll food when yours arrives.
We also live really close to Medieval Times.  We pass it all the time on our way to the grocery store.  I always call it, "Sasha's Castle."  Last year, we took her to a Medieval Times show for her birthday.  She loved seeing the horses.
This year, she started out saying she wanted to go back to American Girl.  That place is so ridiculously expensive it is pretty much off limits unless it's a special occasion.  We had our trip all planned out, but last Monday she mentioned that she would like to have a birthday party.  I told her she had to pick one or the other, and surprisingly she choose the party.  With only a week to plan, I was worried that none of her friends would be able to make it.  Unbelievably, I have 12 girls who said they would come tomorrow.
Panic has set in.  I wasn't expecting this many girls!  We have decided on a Princess themed party.  We are going to play some games,  read some fairy tales, and eat some cake.  Hopefully, they have a good time.
The cake always presents a problem for me.  I'm really not a fan of store bought cakes, but my kids are.  I think homemade cakes taste much better.  This year, I decided to try my hand at some cake decorating.
I've made this cake for my daughter before.  It is a strawberry cake, so it turns out a nice pink color.  Plus, it tastes delicious.  An added plus is that it uses a box mix for the base, so it is a time saver.  Because you are adding some ingredients, your guests will never know that it started out in a box.

Sasha's Strawberry Birthday Cake

1 package French vanilla cake mix
1 package frozen strawberries pureed
1/3 cup vegetable oil (to put in cake mix per directions)
3 eggs
1 package 8 oz strawberry cream cheese

Prepare cake according to back of box, if it calls for 2 eggs, add another for a total of three.  (Don't use more than three.)  Replace water with 1 1/2 cup pureed strawberries.  Add 8 oz cream cheese.  Mix until the cream cheese is incorporated into the batter and it is smooth.  Poor batter into greased and floured pans.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

 Buttercream Frosting:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 Tablespoons milk

No comments:

Post a Comment