Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chicken Fried Rice


Do you remember the first time you went to a Chinese restaurant?  The exotic sounding dishes, the crispiness of the crab Rangoon and egg roll, the sweet fun of a fortune cookie?
As an unadventurous kid, I would only order white rice.  The waitress would shake her head, because I would usually order TWO orders.  "Are you sure you don't want some nice chicken?"  She would say.
By the time I was in my twenties, I had found that I loved many other dishes, including fried rice.  Unfortunately, every time I tried to make it, it turned into an unappetizing, slimy, burnt mess.
Just the other day I tried to make it for my daughter.  She declared that it was yucky.  Then we had to order takeout.
I was thinking about the problem, and I realized that the problem was the eggs.  When I first stir fried the veggies, I tried cooking the egg and veggies together.  It would always come out just wrong. After I cooked the eggs and veggies separately, I found the problem was solved!  Plus this is a really easy weeknight dish, especially if you have some left over chicken.

Fried Rice
1 carrot, sliced
1 rib celery sliced
1/2 onion sliced
1 half green or red pepper, sliced.
1 can water chestnuts
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen green beans
1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
2 tablespoon soy sauce
2 chicken breast, cooked and diced
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoon veg. oil
2 cups cooked white rice.

1.  Cook the two cups white rice
2.  In large skillet or wok, stir fry the vegetables in a tablespoon of oil.  At the end of cooking, add the ginger and soy sauce.  Remove veggies from pan.
3.  Clean skillet or use a clean pan.  Beat the eggs and milk together.  Cook in pan like scrambled eggs in about 1 tablespoon oil.

In large bowl, add white rice, stir fry veggies, chicken and a little more soy sauce.  Add cooked eggs on top.  Lightly fold mixture to combine.
If you are feeling adventurous, serve with chopsticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment