Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Son's Favorite Dinner

My son's favorite food is Betty Crocker Roasted Garlic Instant Mashed Potatoes.  It pains me greatly.  Even if I make delicious home made mashed potatoes he turns them down in favor of my boxed nemesis. 
I feel like I'm to blame.  I used work full time for an evil empire, and it was all I could do to get dinner on the table.  A good dinner was chicken breast, reheated frozen veg, and the aforementioned instant potatoes.
They actually aren't that bad, they just aren't that great.  For an instant potato, they actually do a pretty good job of actually tasting like the vegetable they are supposed to be.  And the garlic flavor hides the "fake"  taste I've noticed with other instant products.
I have Mom guilt.  I should have been feeling him all natural organic alfalfa and tofu burgers.  I should have molded his palate.  I should have made him eat everything on his plate.  I should have refused him any other foods except Brussel sprouts and flax.  It's all my fault.
I actually spent thousands of dollars on feeding therapy for my son.  It helped a little.  He will now eat pizza without any toppings whatsoever.  No cheese, no pepperoni, just sauce.  And it also created World War III at dinner time. So the results have been mixed at best.  You would think that for that kind of money I could get him to eat like a true epicurean.
On the other hand, my daughter is my adventurous eater.  She will eat just about anything you put in front of her.  Curry, no problem.  Thai, the hotter the better.  Mexican, bring it on.  Broccoli, spinach, and other weird things you would think a kid wouldn't like.  The one thing she doesn't like?  Instant Potatoes.
The weird thing is, I don't think I've done anything at all different with her.  In fact, I worked more when she was born.  We had more frozen pizza and takeout nights.  We had more Mac and Cheese.  So I really don't know why they have such different tastes.  Maybe we can boil it down to personality.  Maybe some kids are just born with more adventurous mouths than others.  Yeah, that's my argument and I'm sticking to it.
The grocery near my house has instant potatoes on sale for .89 cents.  Time to stock up.

No comments:

Post a Comment