Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Easy Holiday Fudge

I'm addicted to chocolate.  Snickers, Hershey's, anything with a raspberry cream center.  So I decided to make some fudge to satisfy my holiday sweet tooth.  Also because I'm broke and I need a quick, easy, and appreciated holiday present.  I mean, really, who wants more candles or soap anyway?  Everyone likes chocolate!
 
Sadly, I've never made fudge.  I was looking for a recipe that wasn't too fussy, too sweet, too grainy, too flavored.  I wanted it to be easy to make, and hard to resist.

This week, I've taken the time to fiddle around with some different types.  I noticed that fudge can start out several different ways.  Some recipes use milk, some condensed milk, others use evaporated milk.  Some called for a candy thermometer, others called for only the microwave.

I think I've found the perfect easy holiday fudge recipe.  It's versatile enough to use with many different flavorings.  It's easy enough to make every day if you want!  I would recommend using a double boiler set up for this recipe, although I'm sure you could also do it in the microwave if you so desired.  My double broiler is simply a small sauce pan with a metal mixing bowl on top.  If you have a "fancy" real double boiler, by all means pull that bad boy out.

EASY HOLIDAY FUDGE

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 bag 12 oz of semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 bag or 6 oz white chocolate chips
2 Tablespoon butter (do NOT use margarine, the water content may mess up the recipe)
1 teaspoon flavoring extract (Suggestions - Mint, Raspberry, Almond, Rum, Vanilla)
1 cup nuts (optional)


Melt all ingredients in double boiler while stirring constantly until chocolate starts to lose it gloss.  Once well mixed, take off heat and mix in nuts if desired.

Pour into a bread pan lined with parchment paper or plastic wrap.  Leave the ends hanging out to assist with removal.
Put pan in fridge until cold and set.  Pull out fudge in a block with ends of wrap, then cut fudge into bite sized pieces.

Wrap in aluminum foil, wrap with a pretty piece of ribbon and bow, and viola!  Instant present.

No comments:

Post a Comment